Sunday, November 4, 2007

Blowin' in the Wind.

Whew, it's been a while, hasn't it? What can I say, it's been a busy month. I'm sitting here, trying to remember what we've done and it's a blur. Well, here's some highlights in a nutshell:

Maryland and Amie & Brian's Wedding
We took a trip down to Maryland to see the family and attend Amie and Brian's lovely wedding. Nikki and family came over to the house and we all had our usual feast and then went to Brookside Gardens to walk around in the lovely weather. You can see photos of that on our photosite! Then that night Margit (my lovely friend from Hollins) came in her pickup truck to take us to the wedding. It was a beautiful affair and Amie looked so happy. I got to see some great people from Hollins, including Melissa and Amanda the director of our program! We drank and danced and had a lovely evening.

Halloween
While in Maryland, Adam and I got to buy our costumes for the infamous Halloween party, thrown by Jackie, Adam's buddy at K6. (She's the science teacher.) I went as Alice in Wonderland, and Adam was Albert Einstein. We were very convincing! Our main concerns: Adam's luxuriant mustache getting into his cocktails, and my butt showing from under my teeny-tiny dress. Thank goodness, neither was a problem. We went to Jackie's first to help her carry stuff to the bar she rented out, and met her friends the sexy racecar driver, the gladiator guy from 300, and Edward Scissorhands. Jackie was a cheerleader. We were quite the group! It was kinda odd since we didn't know anyone at the party except for the school people, but luckily Jackie made 750 jello shots (NO JOKE) to loosen everyone up. Let me tell you, jello is not a good texture to experience after you've had a little too much to drink. But we were smart and didn't drink too much and left before things got too crazy. We had a great time! I'll put some photos of that up on the website too.

Other than that, things have been pretty normal. Adam and I have been busy working and trying to stay conscious. Adam has finally gotten his instruments in and his band started, and he is feeling upbeat about his program, very exciting! And I'm enjoying my job immensely, I even got to have a lovely conversation with Kevin Henkes (very famous, very great author) on the phone last week, and am excited to meet him at our upcoming Art Preview Party on Wednesday! I hope to take a few pictures of that, too.

This weekend has been a hodge-podge of things, and last night we decided to make a trip to Astoria to grab some great Greek food for dinner. Unfortunately, what actually happened was that we visited the worst restaurant ever (It was in Zagats! I don't get it!). I won't name names, so we'll just call it The Restaurant of Eternal Wrongness. Here's what happened, in chronological order:

  1. We walk into the restaurant. It is virtually empty, but we chalk that up to it being early. SHAME ON US.
  2. We're seated in the corner, where a blast of heat like Satan's breath begins melting my eyeballs. We complain about the heat and move to the next table.
  3. The heat is abruptly turned off and replaced almost immediately by cold air. We put our coats back on.
  4. We are offered a plate of highly seasoned yet disappointingly stale bread.
  5. We order appetizers only to be told they have no artichokes that night. We order the salad instead. Authentic Greek waitress smiles but has no idea what we are saying.
  6. We receive semi-delicious spanikopitas and an ill proportioned Greek salad. Chunks of feta: 2. Olives: 2. Tomatoes: 6. Cucumbers: 4,663. Dressing: Hahahaha...
  7. We wait about 45 minutes. Or 3 1/2 days. Either one.
  8. Our food arrives. Adam's lamb and potatoes are lukewarm. My moussaka is DOA. I send it back to get heated.
  9. The annoying Greek music CD starts skipping, and then shuts off altogether, leaving us in an uncomfortable silence with our mildly warm food.
  10. The waitress brings us a dessert on the house, as to make up for the disastrous...everything. Sadly, it is weird, and tastes kind of like fermented raisins.
  11. I get up to leave, and my uncomfortable chair falls over because my purse and jacket was hanging on it, and it is very light, being only constructed of half-made promises and broken dreams.
So, that was it. Boy, we can really pick them. Today we got to see part of the New York Marathon, which was totally awesome! Adam and I are going to try to train this year so we can do it next year. It is amazing, you run through all 5 boroughs!

I must cook now, so I'll catch y'all later! Stay warm!

1 comment:

Mania said...

Hello My Darlings.
What a fiasco with the Greek restaurant. I am sure you'll find better somewhere else. So when you visit here for Thanksgiving, we can load you up on food yummies here.
Just love your stories. Keep them coming.

Love you
Mom