Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Dozing Drunkard.

No, that isn't me. It's the theme for part of the first movement of Vivaldi's "Autumn" from The Four Seasons. Although, being that this is me talking, I can see how you'd get confused.

I felt all sophisticated this morning on the subway as I stood with my iPod listening to Vivaldi and following along in the score Adam gave me. The Four Seasons is brilliant. If you look at the score, you'll understand why.

Anyway, why am I reading symphonies, you ask? Well, I am gearing up for the arrival of a new cello! Yes, I am going to take up the cello. I've wanted to for a long time, and I finally decided to go for it. Adam is going to teach me to start, and then I'll try to find a teacher nearby. The place that Adam bought his school instruments from is going to give us a great deal on a nice instrument next month. I can't wait!

Last night was the Art Preview Party, and it was fantastic. We had an incredible turnout, fantastic food (we're still eating it today, and probably will tomorrow, too) and it was so great to meet Kevin Henkes, Ian Schoenherr and Carin Berger, authors and illustrators all. Their original art pieces, as well as dozens of others from our upcoming lists were on display and they were just incredible to look at. There was art from every medium you can imagine, acrylic paintings, watercolor and inks, cut-paper, mixed media...it was amazing. Kevin was so sweet and signed a poster for the nieces and a book for my reading buddy (I'll get to that...) and Carin really encouraged me when I told her about my family memoir that I keep wanting to work on. It was so nice to mix and mingle with all the Greenwillowites in a more social setting, too, even though we were working. I felt myself looking around and different points during the night and thinking, "Wow...this is what my life is now." And I couldn't be more grateful.

The sickly Adam is finally feeling better after succumbing to a cold, and tonight we will venture out to an Australian restaurant in Brooklyn to wine and dine with my designer friend at GW and her beau. They are lovely.

So, back to the reading buddy thing, I am now volunteering (thanks to another GW'er) with a program called Everybody Wins!, where employees at certain companies go to elementary schools in the city at lunchtime and read with a student. This fosters a great relationship with the kids (you always have the same student) and a love for reading! My student is a sweet 4th grade girl who reminds me of Tali, my niece, except older. She and I got along from the first, and I told her I would get her Kevin Henkes' autograph when I see him. Boy, is she going to be thrilled!

So, yes. Things are well. Looking at my calendar is a bit scary with everything getting crazy for the holidays, but it should be fun. Jenflur and Karim of UMBC fame are going to be visiting for the weekend in early December, so that will be fantastic, I'm sure.

I swear, I will be posting photos of Halloween, Art Preview Party, and some other stuff ASAP!

No comments: