Sunday, September 9, 2007

*Bliss*

Time for an update, no? Well, Adam and I have had a lovely relaxing weekend. Friday night we stayed up and drank screwdrivers and watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. That was awesome. I ate too many pretzels, which was both awesome and not good at the same time. Saturday we got up and went to Eisenburg's Sandwich Shop next to the Flatiron building, where we first went with Joe and Lorraine. It may become a tradition. Adam had eggs and sausage and I had a toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese and lox. And coffee. Can it get any better? Then we got Adam some new clothes at H&M and went to Union Square to pick up some cat food and new biodegradable litter. Then we went to Target and I got an awesome new sundress. It's a size extra-small, which boggled my mind. I assume a size large would fit a moderately-sized elephant. Today started with egga (a family omelet made with lots of onion and parmesean cheese) and a jog through Prospect Park. It was beautiful. Then home and cleaning. And bean burritos. Yum.

On all other fronts, things are going really well. Adam is doing extremely well in school and is shaping up those kids right straight. He loves all his fellow teachers, and enjoyed two pints of Guinness with the vice-principal and the science teacher at a bar on Friday, while discussing math. Oh, those New York teachers. He also came up with an awesome Music Chant, which the kids all sing before class every day. It goes like this:

Music moves us from our head to our toes,
It's the only language that the whole world knows!

Mozart, Beethoven, Handel and Bach,
Classical composers that will always rock!
Flutes, clarinets and saxophones,
Trumpets and the slide trombones.

By learning these we'll lend a hand,
To form the unbeatable K---- SIX BAND!
You know that you can't make us stop,
'Cause the drummers in the back won't let the beat drop!

Music moves us from our head to our toes,
It's the only language that the whole world knows!

The kids LOVE this apparently, especially when Adam, like some Beastie Boy, raps it himself. It's a sight to see.

As for me, GW is proving to be as amazing as I had hoped. I love every day I spend there. This week I got to meet award-winning illustrator Paul O. Zelinsky, who was in the office working on a new book he's doing with poet laureate Jack Prelutsky. Part of my job is to check in new artwork that comes in, and I got to do so with his new watercolors for Awful Ogre Running Wild. They are really incredible. So, when I met him I said, awkwardly, "I saw your new pieces for Awful Ogre, they are really awesome."

He said, "You should say they are 'awful.'"

And that was our meeting. Funny. On Friday, Jenna Bush was in a meeting down the hall from me with another Harper group who's doing a book with her. Crazy! Other than that, it's all just fabulous. The group is small (11 people) and everyone is so funny and nice. In November, we're having our Art Preview party and I get to meet Kevin Henkes! He's one of the most famous authors GW has, and I do all his fan mail! Maybe I'll get an autograph.

This weekend we travel back to Maryland to celebrate Rosh Hashana with my folks and go to Rehoboth for a mini-vacation. Yay!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww....I wish was with you for the trip to Maryland and Rehoboth - two of my three favorite places. Ofcourse one of the three is Staten Island where my lovely Toby lives. Wow Mich sounds so groovy- all the eating places you already know - all the neet places to purchase neet stuff. NY is a blast from what I read so far. Well keep on truckin and having fun in the big citay...........lots of hugs - happy jewish new year and do me a favour - give your mom the biggest hug you got from me. i miss her so flippin much .....take care baby
bug mona loves you and adam mucho agusto...:-)