Tuesday, June 26, 2007

When the moon hits your eye...

Ciao! (That means hello and goodbye, much like Aloha and Shalom. Basically it means that Italians, Hawaiians and Israelis are too cool to bother with a distinction. Heck, Shalom is even used as a person's name! That would be weird, wouldn't it? Every time you see them, you'd basically be like, "Hello Hello!" And every time someone new comes in the room, and people greet them, Shalom is sitting there like "What???! WHAT?!!")

Boy, am I long-winded or what?

Anyhow. I say "ciao!" to you because we started off our week by being completely irresponsible and going to Little Italy after work Monday night. We didn't mean to, really, we just meant to go out for dessert and sort of came upon Little Italy by chance. No, really, we did. We figured as much when we started seeing the red, white and green lights everywhere and noticed the overwhelming scent of marinara in the air.

Little Italy is BEAUTIFUL. And I'm not just talking about the pasta. It's full of restaurants with people dining al fresco and drinking and slurping gobs of ravioli and marsala sauce. Adam and I had already "ate" of course (we each had one of those head-sized artichokes we bought at the market), but after walking down three or four blocks of delicious smells we gave in and went into a place to share a single-size pizza. And...and well a bottle of Chianti. Why not?

The pizza was so decadent that I felt obscene eating it in public. It was a pizza bianca (white), and the melty ponds of ricotta cheese could make a person need a cigarette after eating it. Oh. My. Gosh.

By the time we got home it was (gasp) almost midnight. And on a MONDAY to boot!

Today, while Adam stayed home and did wonderful man-wifely things like clean and cook (God bless him), I had a wonderful day at Bloomsbury. The darling executive editor who I adore had me working on an image research project for a book she's doing, and I did so well with it that at the end of the day she said, "Oh my god, you just made my life. I love you!" I blushed accordingly and professed my own love for her as well. She is a goddess. On top of that, when I started talking to her about my job search, she told me that she was confident that she could help me not only get a job in Children's Editorial somewhere, but that she didn't even think I'd necessarily have to start as an Editorial Assistant. "With your skills and talents," she said, "You could easily start off as an Assistant Editor."

Now this may not seem like a big difference to you, but it is. It's huge. My heart all but leaped out of my chest. This was a good day!

Check the photo site for MORE FUN! Ciao!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

You sexy badass!

Mania said...

It sounds like you are getting use to your new life in New York. I am really glad you are there where the opportunities await.
I know you will both do well.
Mom