Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Best Week Ever

This has been, I'm quite sure, the best week ever*. Mind you, I've just recently polished off half a bottle of lovely white wine, so we'll see how well my spelling holds up.
*OK, this is of course excluding some obvious ones like, my wedding day, my honeymoon, my sister's wedding, a few really great family vacations, graduation...really, I'm just trying to be factually accurate. But you get the point.

Oh, my. So it really began yesterday, my day at Bloomsbury. I was there, doing my thing, and I suddenly thought to myself, 'You know what? Your writing is just as good as some of these books on the shelf. Show them, gosh darnit.'

So I did. I printed out my picture book manuscript, waltzed right over to one of the Editorial Directors and said, "I know this is an odd request, but would you mind reading this? Yes, it's mine."

And she did. And half an hour later when I walked over to ask her a question, she said, "It's a really cute story! My kids would love it! Now why don't you look at this..." and proceeded to give me some tips on how to improve it, and said to bring it back to her when I did that. I asked her what she thought about needing an agent. She said for my first picture book, it wasn't really necessary. "You'll probably just take the deal," she said, "Normally it's for like $4-6,000. So, if Bloomsbury ends up publishing it, great, if not, I know plenty of people I can introduce you to."

It was about this time that I really started getting excited. She liked it! She wanted to see it again! Oh. My. God. $4-6,000?????? Yes! So, I am working on that baby as we speak.

And then today....oh, today. First I met with this lovely woman at Viking, who made me feel just wonderful, and then some encouraging words from my editor at DK, and then a fun wine and beer photo shoot during the day. And then, like serendipity, a call from a mysterious unknown number...

Now, you should know, an editor at Bloomsbury has been sending out my resume to everyone she knows, so when I picked up the phone, one of the first things the woman on the line said was: "I got your resume from (wonderful lady at Bloomsbury)." And I started to hyperventilate. Turns out, this woman is a prestigious literary agent who has been in the business for almost 20 years, and is now starting an agency of her own. And she wants to meet me at a diner on Tuesday to talk about the business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, this is an incredible thing. I'm so excited. I really have no idea what will happen, but it sounds just great. Getting in on a business right as its starting, and with such a well-respected person in the business, well, it's just such a fabulous career move. I really, really hope it works out. Anyway, I'm just insanely happy right now. Adam took me out for a fabulous Italian dinner in SoHo (enter 1/2 bottle of white wine) and I feel just lovely.

Oh, Oh!!! AND the lady at Viking gave me an advance copy of the new Jasper Fforde novel (I LOVE him) which isn't coming out until next week and I get to have it autographed on Monday when I MEET HIM IN PERSON at his book signing!!! Aiieeee! I will take pictures.

Anyway, I wanted to share the good news and also send out hugs and good wishes to Nancy and Barbara at UMBC who are going through some tough times and need everyone's love and support. Hang in there, ladies. We love you!!!

2 comments:

Mania said...

I am so excited for you sweetie. I hope that this is the beginning of a wonderful time for you and Adam. It's so amazing that you have the opportunity now to use your talents and experience your passions. This is the best kind of satisfaction for your soul. You must be proud of yourself for going the extra mile to achieve what you desire. It takes courage and you and Adam have displayed that as well as your deep love and support for each other.
Bless you both.
Love you always
Mom

Unknown said...

That's amazing Meech!!!