Tuesday, July 10, 2007

If You Believe

I must reiterate Adam's profound apology regarding my lack of attentions paid to this blog. I am quite appalled at my behavior.

Anyway, he filled you in on a good bit of it, excepting the weekend we spent back home in Maryland visiting my family. It was lovely seeing everyone together and savoring their company. Great breakfasts, Ikaros, Sheila's pool, horsing around with nieces...all the parts of home that make it wonderful. And of course an evening of drinks and karaoke with Ben and Nat, to top it all off. I must say, my rendition of Styx's "Come Sail Away" was quite classically performed. *wink*

Ahh...what else...here are some other assorted highlights:
  • After an initial trip to the Manhattan Bally's, we sought out sushi. The place wasn't open for dinner yet, so we wandered into a wine place called Moore Brothers, which turned out to be quite a lucky thing. This place has the feel of a winery, not a store, and they do tastings as well as carry wines from small estates in France, Germany and Italy that aren't carried by larger market stores. We tasted and bought some fabulous wines (our favorite was the Muscadet, you should try one) and felt very pleased with ourselves. We've fancied ourselves as (wannabe) wine connoisseurs for a while now and were pleased to be buying such elegant wines as if we knew what we were talking about.
  • I am currently job-hunting every day, and although there are no bites yet, and the days until my internship is over are slowly slipping away, I can't say that I'm particularly worried. Maybe it's New York rubbing off on me, maybe it's the fact that I'm reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead for the first time...but I just think that no matter what, things will be OK. As long as I stay confident (which is, somehow, both effortless and impossible for me), good things will come my way. Everything that has passed thus far has proved this theory, so if only with logic, no less faith, I should believe. Sometimes this is hard for me and I have yet to figure out why. I think if the good Lord came down and all but pounded me on the head with goodness I would still worry for tomorrow. Silly me.
  • I am, and I am serious about this, writing a book. Now, I haven't written anything yet, per se, but I do have an almost-finished outline...and it is based on the same setting of a book I started last Fall which I'm redoing the plot for...but DAMMIT I AM WRITING A BOOK. Just slowly. After reading the piles of steaming horse manure (I'm sorry, but it's true) that come in as slush (or even from AGENTS!) to these publishers, I am convinced I can write something good enough for the public. Inside, I am positively glowing with this notion, because for the first time, I can logically say to myself, "You are better than most, you have an original story, and if you do it right, people will love it." No wispy dreams, no flights of fancy, I honestly believe this to be true. And I am most definitely my harshest critic. I swear, when I have time (hah), I am going to get this thing started.
Well, that's all I can think of right now. My mind is all a-flutter and jazzed with all the heat. It is absurdly hot here. Every day I thank my lucky stars for our little old air-conditioners. Otherwise I believe I would spend my days in a hallucinogenic state of perspiration.

I love you all! Nighty-night.

No comments: